Michel Roux Jr and Blue Label
Only on rare occasions do dessert wines come together so perfectly to complement the complex layers of sweetness in a dish. The 2009 Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos, Royal Tokaji from Hungary is a glorious sweet wine that does just that. Full of notes of honey and apricot, yet still a firm acidic tang on the finish.
Brioche and Butter Pudding
Serves 4 and fills a round 20cm baking dish
• 240g sliced brioche
• 3 whole eggs
• 100g white sugar (+ a little to sprinkle on top)
• 1 scraped vanilla pod
• 180g whole milk
• 1 tbsp. rum
• 30g raisins
• 15g diced butter (+ a little for greasing)
Pre-heat your oven to 170 degrees celsius.
1. To begin, grease a baking dish with a little butter.
2. Place the raisins in a small bowl and pour the rum on top. The dried fruit will absorb all the alcohol whilst you get along with the rest of the recipe.
3. Pour the milk into a small saucepan and heat until almost simmering. Keep stirring, making sure the milk does not burn.
4. In the meantime, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Once the milk is hot (but not boiling) gradually pour into the egg mix whisking continuously. Then one by one, drop each slice of brioche into the liquid mix. Let the slices absorb the liquid for a couple of minutes before removing from the pan and then carefully arranging and layering in your baking dish.
5. Repeat the process until you have filled all the little holes up with brioche. At last, pour the raisins into the remaining liquid mix and empty it all over the top of the pudding.
6. Sprinkle a little sugar on top of the pudding and scatter the cubes of butter on top before baking at 170 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
2009 Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos, Royal Tokaji
Click here to buy Royal Tokaji online from the Wine Society
Click here to visit Decanter